Well today, we talked about dating. And it really was a blessing to me. We all put on a card something that we were unsure what the Bible said about and handed it in and mine happened to be dating. So it was really cool. But sometimes, when I really like a guy, I will be distracted by him but I never put it into the perspective that he gave us today. So I am going to share a little bit of what he talked about today and how it spoke to me.
So first I am going to define dating:
Dating is an exclusive relationship with a member of the opposite gender. So I am going to give you a few of his points and some thoughts of my own.
- First he talked about how EVERY young heart longs for acceptance, dreams of love, but teen hearts are not prepared for exclusive relationships.
- Exclusive relationships are meant to progress, but teen relationships have no where to go. So what he is saying is that relationships and dating is eventually supposed to lead to marriage. And when your a teen, there is really no where for that relationship to go because you cannot get married yet and so you end up doing things that you regret.
- Every date is a potential mate.
- A teen's biggest struggle is: waiting. "I am tired of waiting." That is often what we say and its our excuse for a relationship. But you should understand that You Are Not Waiting, You Are Preparing!
So these are some things he encouraged us to think about:
- I will maintain friendships that honor God and help me grow in His grace.
- I will recognize the dangers of exclusive relationships.
- I will keep God first in my life and all my friends will come after Him.
- I will pace my friendships and focus on what I am becoming rather than who I like or who likes me.
- I will not date an unbeliever, a backslidden Christian, or someone my parents would dissaprove of.
The difference between young and older people's relationships are: that a teenagers relationships are based on feelings and that he makes you feel good. But our feelings change so easily. When we are older, our relationships are based on love and its a lasting love. That is another reason to wait until God brings the right one into your life. But it also has to be the right time. If he is the right one in high school, he will still be there and the right one in college.And then here are two good points he made regarding waiting.
- Exclusive teen relationships trade preparation for pretend, and that's a bad trade.
- You focus on the preparation and let God focus on the person.
Well, tomorrow morning, I am leaving for the beach and I am so excited..pictures to come. And I have been praying about college and where to apply for scholarships but I am praising the Lord because I have the opportunity to BJU (Bob Jones University) to look at the school next week. So please pray for me that the Lord would lead me in the right direction and provide the finances that I will need to go.